This is a DIY sauce mix for scalloped potatoes (aka Dauphinoise potatoes.)
Use it with your dehydrated potato slices.
Just add water, pour over the dried potato slices, and bake.
To be clear, this is NOT a canning recipe. Don’t attempt to can the scalloped potatoes, and don’t attempt to even dry-can this mix: the heat would shorten the storage life of the powdered milk in the mix.
Double or triple recipe if desired.
Yield: Makes 600 g / 4 /1/2 cups. Enough for 9 batches of scalloped potato.
Use 1/2 cup (75 g / 2 1/2 oz) per batch.
DIY Scalloped Potato Dry Sauce Mix
- 250 g powdered milk (2 cups / 9 oz)
- 150 g white flour (1 cup / 5 oz)
- 125 g cornstarch (1 cup / 4.5 oz)
- 50 g onion flakes (dried. 1/2 cup / 2 oz OR 8 teaspoons onion powder)
- 1/2 cup chives (dried. Or dried parsley. 8 tablespoons)
- 4 teaspoons salt (or salt sub)
- 4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients well.
Store in a sealed container, jar or bag in a cool, dark place.
Yield: Makes 600 g / 4 /1/2 cups / 21 oz, enough for 9 batches of scalloped potatoes
Additional ingredients at time of use:
- Dehydrated potato slices;
- Butter or marg (optional).
- Turn oven on to start heating to 175 C (350 F).
- Spray or grease a 2 litre / quart casserole dish.
- Put 100 g (3 cups / 3.5 oz) of dehydrated potato slices in dish.
- Mix 75 g of sauce mix (1/2 cup / 2 1/2 oz ) with 700 ml (2 3/4 cup / 22 oz) water, whisk smooth.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter (optional).
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes, serve hot.
- Want a richer sauce? When making up the dry mix, you could add an extra 1/2 to 1 cup of powdered milk (60 to 120 g / 2 to 4 oz), or even a bit more, if desired.
- Adjust water to make sauce thinner or thicker to your liking;
- You can use butter or marg to dot the potatoes with, or, omit;
- Sprinkle with grated cheese on top before putting in oven, if desired;
- Using raw potato instead of dehydrated? You will want about 3/4 kg (1 1/2 lbs) fresh raw potato to start. Wash, peel and slice it and use in recipe. After 45 minutes, cover dish and cook for another 10 minutes.
Mixture of various, particularly the excellent piece How to Make Scalloped Potatoes with Dehydrated Potatoes by Getty Stewart.
Per 1 batch of sauce / one-ninth of mix for the whole casserole dish. (does not include potatoes or butter)
- 161 calories, 1138 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 4 points+
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 6 points
To work out nutrition of the entire casserole dish, factor in 3/4 kg (1 1/2 lbs) of fresh potato as equiv for the dried, and whatever you use for butter / low-cal marg etc. (Vitamin content will of course change on fresh vs dried, but for calories and weight watcher points will be very close.)
(Nutritional info based on using salt — you can lower the sodium by using instead a salt sub such as Herbamare Sodium – Free . )
Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal.
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.