You can use this turkey salad as a filling for a sandwich or a pita pocket, or put a scoop of it on a salad plate.
Added celery and nuts (optional) give it a bit of crunch.
To be clear: this is a cooking with canning recipe, not a recipe for home canning.
This recipe uses:
Yield: 5 x 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz) servings
Turkey and Grape Salad
- 125 g celery (medium-diced. 1 cup / 4 oz / 2 medium stalks)
- 30 g green onion (chopped. 1/2 cup / 1 oz / 2 medium bunches)
- 100 g pecans (coarsely broken or coarsely chopped .1/2 cup / 3 oz) (optional)
- 1 half-litre home-canned grapes (Sliced seedless grapes (1 pint jar. 200 g / 2 cups / 6 oz, measured after draining ))
- 1 litre home-canned turkey (1 quart jar. 3 to 4 cups / 1 kg / 2 lbs drained.)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh, chopped. optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 175 ml mayonnaise (3/4 cup / 6 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or salt sub)
Wash and chop the celery, add to a large bowl.
Wash and chop the green onion, add to bowl.
[Optional]Chop the nuts, add to bowl.
Drain the grapes, slice grapes in half, add to bowl.
Drain the turkey, break up large chunks if needed, add to bowl.
Mix together the parsley (optional), lemon juice and mayo to make the dressing.
Add dressing to bowl.
Toss all carefully to mix well.
Chill a bit in fridge, covered.
- Instead of pecans, you could try cashews, peanuts, sliced water chestnuts, or croutons. Or, just omit.
- For the mayonnaise, we used fat-free. You could use any mayo of course, or whipped salad dressing such as Miracle Whip, or Salad Cream in the UK. A blend of any of those with low-fat sour cream, if you have on hand, is nice for a bit of added tang to lighten the dish.
- Nice made a few hours in advance and chilled in the fridge, to allow the flavours to marry.
- If you have any DIY Ranch Dressing Mix to hand, a tablespoon or two in the dressing could be nice.
- Store leftovers in the fridge covered and use within 2 to 3 days.
Inspired by: Rattray, Diana. Turkey Salad with Red Grapes. 18 July 2017. Accessed September 2017 at https://southernfood.about.com/od/turkeysalad/r/Turkey-Salad-With-Red-Grapes.htm.
Serving size: 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz)
- 344 calories, 513 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 9 points; SmartPoints®: 9 points.
* Nutrition info provided by MyFitnessPal
* PointsPlus™ and SmartPoints™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® registered trademarks.