Tamale Pie is a hearty and delicious Tex-Mex casserole. A slice of this on a plate, with some low-fat sour cream, hot sauce and a heaping helping of a leafy salad can make for a filling, satisfying meal in a hurry.
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
Yield: Makes 1.2 kg (6 x 1 cup servings of 200 g each)
Serving size: 1 cup / 200 g
Fat: 5.9 g
- 250 g cornmeal (1½ cups / 9 oz)
- 600 ml cold water (2½ cups / 20 oz / 1 UK pint )
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt sub
- 1 litre home-canned chili (2 x ½ litre / pint jars)
- 30 g low-fat cheddar, grated (1 oz. After grating ¼ cup / 4 tablespoons)
- Mix together the ingredients from the cornmeal down to and including the salt sub. Zap on high in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Zap for a final 3 minutes. (OR, cook in a saucepan over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil and the cornmeal thickens. You must stir constantly or it may scorch on you.)
- Spray a baking dish that is about 20 to 25 cm square (8" x 8" or 9" x 9").
- Put one half the dough in the bottom of the pan. Press out flat.
- Empty the 2 jars of chili on top of that base, and spread out equally.
- Use the remaining cornmeal dough to form a top crust. (You can make small rounds in the palm of your hands and place them on, if that is easier.)
- Bake for 20 minutes at 175 C / 350 F.
- Sprinkle the cheese on, and bake for a final 10 minutes.
Inspiration source: Tamale Pie. In: Robertson, Laurel, Carol Flanders and Bronwen Godfrey. Laurel's Kitchen. Petaluma, California: Nilgiri Press. 1983. Page 270.
Per 1 cup (200 g / 7 oz):
- 345 calories, 109 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 9 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.