This pickling spice recipe is middle of the road in terms of taste; not too heavy in any particular spicing tradition or direction. You can of course feel free to omit, substitute or add particular dry ingredients according to taste.
Read about how to use Pickling Spice.
You may want to double the batch at the start of canning season, so you have enough to get you through.
Homemade pickling spice
Homemade pickling spice is really easy and inexpensive to make
- 10 bay leaves (crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves (whole)
- 1/2 tablespoon chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon cardamom (pods)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons allspice (whole berries)
- 5 cm cinnamon (stick. 2 inches. Roughly broken up. Optional)
Store in airtight container or jar.
Use as directed by recipes (mix up first before measuring to ensure even distribution of items in it.)