This is a quick and easy baked potato dish.
You can throw it together in minutes because you did most of the work already back when you did your canning.
It’s extremely calorie-wise, too. Makes 4 generous 250 g / 1/2 lb portions for just 96 calories a portion.
You will need a 2 litre (2 US quart) casserole dish.
The recipe is easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd (just use a larger baking dish accordingly.)
(To be clear, this is a “cooking with canning you have already done” recipe. This is not a recipe for canning.)
This recipe uses:
- 250 ml water (1 cup / 8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (OR salt sub)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried)
- 4 wedges light laughing cow cheese (OR or 50 g / 1/2 cup grated light cheese)
- 1 litre jar home-canned potatoes (1 quart jar)
In a large, microwave safe bowl or jug whisk together everything from the water down to and including the parsley.
Zap for one minute in microwave, whisk, zap for one more minute.
Remove from microwave.
Stir in chopped laughing cow pieces (or grated cheese) till melted.
Open a 1 litre (US quart) jar of potatoes, stir in, with canning water and all.
Spray a 2 litre (2 quart) casserole dish.
Empty in the casserole dish.
Bake at 175 C (350 F) for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
If you will want a thicker sauce, add another tablespoon of corn starch. Won't affect nutrition much.
Feel free to add more cheese or any cheese of your liking: the cheese quantity is low here in an effort to keep it low-cal, but you can splurge a bit more if desired.
Per 250 g (1 cup / 8 oz in weight / 1/4 of the recipe):
- 96 calories, 268 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 250 g (1 cup / 8 oz in weight) = 3 points
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.