Sweet, luscious morsels of pickled cucumber. Delicious in a relish tray.
You can make the regular version (81 calories, 221 mg sodium per 10 pickles) or make it sugar and salt-free (22 calories, 4 mg sodium.)
Jar size choices: 1/2 litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz) OR 1 litre (US quart / 32 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 4 x 1 litre (US quart) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: Either size jar 5 minutes
Note that the size of your slices and the width of the cucumbers used will affect how many go into a jar, and therefore how much pickling liquid is needed.
Yield: 8 x ½ litre (US pint) jars OR 4 x 1 litre (US quart) jars
Serving size: 10 pickles
Fat: .1 g
- 3½ kg pickling cucumbers 7 to 10 cm long ( 8 lbs, 3 to 4 inches long)
- 5 tablespoons picking salt OR 2 tablespoons salt sub
- 1 litre white vinegar (4 cups / 32 oz)
- 1 kg white sugar (4½ cups / 36 oz) OR 5 teaspoons liquid stevia
- 2 tablespoons additional salt sub (if NOT using salt)
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- Pickle Crisp (optional)
- Onion (optional)
- Wash cucumbers well. Trim small sliver off each end.
- Cut cucumbers into rounds or strips.
- Place in bowl, toss with salt OR salt sub and (optionally) 1 tablespoon Pickle Crisp.
- Cover with 5 cm (2 inches) of ice cubes or crushed ice.
- Let stand for 3 to 4 hours. Refrigerate if possible. Otherwise add more ice as needed.
- Meanwhile mix everything from the vinegar down to the mustard seed in a very large pot. Set aside.
- Drain the cucumbers well.
- Bring the pickling solution to a boil.
- Add the cucumber slices to the pot, and heat them until they are just hot.
- Pack cucumber slices into jars, leaving 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
- To each jar, add (optionally) 2 slices of fresh onion and ⅛th teaspoon Pickle Crisp (1/4 teaspoon for the litre / quart jars)
- Pour heated pickling solution into jars, leaving 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
- If you are short of heated vinegar, just quickly zap some more vinegar with a bit of sweetener in it in microwave, mind surge effect when removing from microwave.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process either size jar for 5 minutes. Increase time as needed for your altitude (see table below.)
- Best after at least a month.
Processing guideline times below differ slightly from the usual altitude changes. The times apply equally to water-bath canners or steam canners.
|Required processing time in minutes per altitude|
|Jar Size||0 - 300 m / 0 - 1,000 ft||301 - 900 m / 1,001 - 3,000 ft||901 - 1,800 m / 3,001 - 6,000 ft||Above 1,800 m / 6,000|
|1/2 litre (US pint)||5 min||10 min||10 min||15 min|
|1 litre (US quart)||5 min||10 min||10 min||15 min|
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
Quick Sweet Pickle Slices. In: Andress, Elizabeth L. and Judy A. Harrison. So Easy to Preserve. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. Bulletin 989. Sixth Edition. 2014. Page 135.
The authors also give a raw pack option, in which the pickles aren’t heated first. Processing times are longer. 10 mins for US pints; 15 mins for US quarts from 0 to 300 metres. See page 181 of the book for other altitude times for raw pack. Note however that hot pack is possibly a better choice for sugar free.
The authors also give an option for making this with pickling lime. Consult book for those directions.
Modifications: increased vinegar by 125 ml (4 oz).
Per 50 g / 10 pickles:
- 81 calories, 221 mg sodium
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 50 g / 10 pickles:
- 22 calories, 4 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 10 pickles (50 g), 0 points
Notes: 450 g of pickle solids / 80 pickles per litre / quart jar. Equals approx 50 g per 10 pickles
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.