This is a lovely, classic relish with a spritely, sweet taste and crisp texture.
Some commercial versions may include cabbage as a cheaper filler ingredient, but this version is sticks to the classic ingredients.
This is good on both hotdogs, and hamburgers.
Jar size choices: Quarter-litre (1/2 US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 8 x quarter-litre (1/2 US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 x ¼ litre (1/2 pint) jars
Serving size: 2 tbsp
Fat: .1 g
- 750 g cucumber (4 medium / 4 cups finely chopped / 1½ lbs)
- 350 g onion, finely chopped (2 cups / 12 oz)
- 150 g finely chopped red bell pepper (Measured after seeding chopping. 1 cup / 1 large)
- 150 g finely chopped green bell pepper (Measured after seeding chopping. 1 cup / 1 large)
- 500 ml cider vinegar (2 cups / 16 oz. 5% acidity or higher)
- 4 tablespoons pickling salt OR 2 tablespoons salt sub
- 1 tablespoon Pickle Crisp (optional)
- 2 tablespoons additional salt sub (if NOT using salt)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 800 g white sugar (3½ cups / 28 oz) white sugar OR 4 teaspoons liquid stevia
- Wash cucumber, slice sliver off each end. Leave unpeeled, finely chop. Put in a very large bowl, or a pot.
- Peel and finely chop the onion; add to the cucumber.
- Wash seed, and finely chop the peppers; add to the cucumber.
- Sprinkle the salt / salt sub and Pickle Crisp (optional) over the vegetables, mix a bit with your hands, then pour enough cold water over the veg to cover them all.
- Let stand 2 hours.
- Drain well. If pickling salt was used, rinse and drain again.
- While the mixture is draining, in a large pot put the vinegar, salt sub if doing salt, celery seed, mustard seed and either sugar OR liquid stevia.
- Stir, bring to a simmer.
- Add the drained veg.
- Bring to a low boil then simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Pack hot into quarter-litre (1/2 US pint) jars. (Optional: a pinch of Pickle Crisp in each jar.)
- Leave 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
- Best after at least a month of jar time.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For salt substitute, Herbamare Sodium-Free was used.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
- Use cucumbers with no wax on the skin.
- You can use pulse button on food processor to do the fine chopping.
- You can use any colours of bell pepper, or even all the same colour.
- Instead of apple cider vinegar, you would use white vinegar (5% or higher). The taste would be less milder, a bit harsher.
Sweet Pickle Relish. In: Ball Blue Book. Muncie, Indiana: Healthmark LLC / Jarden Home Brands. Edition 37. 2014. Page 89.
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml:
- 54 calories, 109 mg sodium
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml:
- 7 calories, 1 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 5 tablespoons, 0 points. 8 to 17 tablespoons, 1 point
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.
* Pickle Crisp ® is a registered trademark of the Jarden Corporation.