This Pineapple Strawberry Jam is a delicious, unique combination of flavours.
You can make this in the winter, using frozen strawberries and tinned pineapple.
You can make this with honey, or you can make it sugar-free.
Per 2 tablespoons, this is 30 calories when made with honey and 13 calories when made sugar-free.
Jar size choices: Either 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) or quarter-litre (1/2 US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 4 x quarter-litre (1/2 US pint) jars
Headspace: 1 cm (1/4 inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 x ¼ litre (1/2 US pint) jars
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Fat: .1 g
- 500 g strawberries, mashed (1 lb / 4 cups whole. 2 cups after mashing.)
- 500 ml crushed pineapple including juice. (Canned or fresh, see notes. 2 cups / 16 oz / 500 g in weight)
- 2 teaspoons Pomona Pectin powder
- 2 teaspoons calcium water
- 75 ml honey (1/3 cup / 3 oz) OR 1 teaspoon liquid stevia
- Mash strawberries, add to a large pot.
- Add prepared pineapple.
- Take out 4 to 6 tablespoons of juice; put in a bowl.
- Whisk in the pectin powder all at once and then either the liquid stevia or honey, set aside.
- Add the calcium water to the pot.
- Put the pot on the stove, turn the heat on, bring to a boil.
- Add pectin mixture a teaspoon at a time, stirring in till dissolved.
- When it's all in, let boil 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle into 125 ml (4 oz) or quarter-litre (1/2 US pint / 8 oz) jars.
- Leave 1 cm ( ¼ inch) headspace.
- Debubble, then adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process either size jars for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
Information about Pomona pectin.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
- If using frozen strawberries, just zap in microwave for about 2 minutes to quickly thaw them. Include all juice that comes off them after thawing in your measurements.
- If you have larger canned pieces of pineapple, just whiz them in a food processor to crush them. If your can of pineapple is something like 546 ml, it’s fine to use it all.
- Pomona pectin comes with a small pouch of powdered calcium for you to mix with water to make calcium water.
- The pectin powder will clump if you just mix it straight in; that’s why you mix it with something first.
Strawberry-Pineapple Jam with Honey. In: Duffy, Allison Carroll. Preserving with Pomona’s Pectin. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds Press. 2013. Page 73.
- Increased honey by a tablespoon
Per 2 tablespoons:
- 30 calories, 6 mg sodium
Sugar-free version with liquid stevia
Per 2 tablespoons:
- 13 calories, 6 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 2 tablespoons, 0 points; 3 to 8 tablespoons, 1 point; 9 to 14 tablespoons, 2 points.
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.