Lady Ross Relish is a Canadian relish with many tall tales behind its name. While there actually was a Lady Ross, who lived in Montreal for a time, it’s not certain that there’s any actual link between this recipe and her.
It’s also sometimes called “Lady Rose Relish.”
This is a mustardy cauliflower relish, thickened with flour. While it generally isn’t considered safe to thicken home-canned products with the flour, the exception is if the recipe has been lab-tested for safety by industry technicians, as this one has been. So enjoy!
Note: this can have a potent mustard bite, especially if your mustard powder is strong and fresh — though it does mellow in time.
Jar size choices: Either quarter-litre (1/2 US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz) OR half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 11 x quarter-litre (1/2 US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: 10 minutes
Yield: 11 x ¼ litre (1/2 US pint) OR 5 x ½ litre (1 US pint)
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Fat: .5 g
- 800 g finely chopped cucumber (4 cups / 1 US quart / 28 oz in weight. Measurements after prep.)
- 500 g finely chopped onion (3 cups / 18 oz in weight. Measurements after prep.)
- 400 g finely chopped celery (3 cups / 14 oz in weight. Measurements after prep.)
- 600 g finely chopped cauliflower (5 cups / 21 oz. Measurements after prep.)
- 250 g finely chopped apple (1 cup after chopping / 8 oz. Measurements after prep.)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 175 g pickling salt (1/2 cup / 6 oz) OR 2 tablespoons salt sub
- 1 tablespoon Pickle Crisp ® (optional)
- 1 litre water (4 cups / 32 oz)
- 500 ml white vinegar (2 cups / 16 oz)
- 900 g brown sugar (4 cups, firmly packed / 32 oz) OR 6 teaspoons liquid stevia
- 3 tablespoons salt sub if NOT using salt
- 60 g mustard seed (1/3 cup / 2 oz)
- 75 g mustard powder (3/4 cup / 2.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 50 g white flour (1/3 cup / 1.5 oz)
- 125 ml water (1/2 cup / 4 oz)
- Mix all ingredients from cucumber down to the water. Let sit covered for 12 hours or up to 24 hours in fridge.
- Drain well. If pickling salt was used, rinse and drain again.
- Leave in drainer while preparing next step.
- In a Dutch oven or wide pot, put the vinegar, sugar or stevia, salt sub if doing salt free, and mustard seed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the drained veg.
- Bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer
- Whisk together the mustard powder, turmeric, flour, then add the 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) of water and whisk to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Let the veg mixture simmer for 10 minutes or until cauliflower pieces are just tender but still crunchy.
- Add the flour mixture to the veg mixture. Add in dollops a little at a time, stirring after each dollop until dissolved in.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pack hot into quarter-litre (1/2 US pint) jars or half-litre (US pint) jars.
- Leave 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace for either size jar.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process either size jar for 10 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
- Best after at least a month of jar time.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude (follow the table above.)
For salt substitute, a non-bitter, non-clouding one such as Herbamare Sodium-Free was used.
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
- Use a food processor if you’ve got one to finely chop all the veg.
- Peel the cauliflower head, wash it. Cut it into smallish florets; don’t leave in large pieces. Place florets a few at a time into the bowl of a food processor and whiz them just until it is broken down to the size of rice or wheat grains. Repeat until you’ve processed all the cauliflower.
- 2 medium apples, 10 to 12 oz in weight combined.
- Trim off both ends of cucumbers; this is to get rid of an enzyme that could make your relish go soft.
- Yes, that really is 60 g of mustard seed and 75 g (3/4 cup) of mustard powder, those are not typos.
- For a more golden brown colour, add some Kitchen Bouquet a 1/2 teaspoon at a time until desired golden colour is reached.
The chopped cauliflower
Lady Ross Relish. Canadian Living Test Kitchen. The Complete Preserving Book. Montreal, Canada: Transcontinental Books. 2012. Page 177.
- Increased vinegar by 250 ml (8 oz);
- Changed onion from 4 cups coarsely chopped to 3 cups finely chopped (same weight)
All Canadian Living home canning recipes are lab-tested for quality and safety.
Per 2 tablespoons:
- 58 calories, 84 mg sodium.
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 2 tablespoons:
- 19 calories, 7 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 2 tablespoons, 0 points; 3 to 6 tablespoons, 1 point; 7 to 11 tablespoons, 2 points
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.