Pickled Green Tomato Relish is a classic made from those end of summer jewels, green tomatoes.
The recipe is easily cut in half for a smaller batch, but bear in mind that small jars of this also make welcomed hostess gifts, etc.
This is a recipe from So Easy to Preserve.
“So I merely slammed the door behind me and went down and made some green-tomato pickle. Somebody had to do it.” — Eudora Welty, “Why I Live at the P.O.”
Jar size choices: Either quarter-litre (1/2 US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz) OR half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 8 x half-litre (US pint) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8 x ½ litre (1 US pint) jars
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Fat: .2 g
- 5 kg green tomatoes, finely chopped (5 US quarts / 5 litres / 10 lbs)
- 750 g finely chopped onion (6 cups / 1.5 lbs. Measured after prep.)
- 1.25 kg of mixed colour bell peppers (e.g. red and green), cored, seeded and finely chopped. (measured after prepping. 8 cups. 2¾ lbs. Measured after prep.)
- 175 g pickling salt (1/2 cup / 6 oz) OR 3 tablespoons salt sub
- 1 litre water (1 US quart / 32 oz)
- 1 litre vinegar, 5% acidity or higher (1 US quart / 32 oz)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons additional salt sub (if not using salt)
- 900 g refined white sugar (4 cups / 32 oz) OR 4 teaspoons liquid stevia
- 100 ml prepared mustard (1/3 cup / 3 oz)
- Put the prepped veg (tomato, onion, pepper) in a large pot.
- Add the water and the salt OR salt sub to the veg; bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes, drain, return back to pan.
- Take a portion of the vinegar (about 100 ml / ⅓ cup / 3 oz) and whisk into it the cornstarch.
- To the veg mixture in the pot, add the cornstarch mixture, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; let simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Pack hot into quarter-litre (1/2 US pint) jars or half-litre (US pint) jars.
- Leave 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace for either size jar.
- Debubble, adjust headspace.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process either size jar for 5 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
- Best after at least a month of jar time.
Processing guideline times below differ slightly from the usual altitude changes. The times apply equally to water-bath canners or steam canners.
|Required processing time in minutes per altitude|
|Jar Size||0 - 300 m / 0 - 1,000 ft||301 - 900 m / 1,001 - 3,000 ft||901 - 1,800 m / 3,001 - 6,000 ft||Above 1,801 m / 6,000|
|1/4 litre (1/2 US pint)||5 min||10 min||10 min||15 min|
|1/2 litre (US pint)||5 min||10 min||10 min||15 min|
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude (follow the table above.)
For stevia, Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
For salt substitute, a non-bitter, non-clouding one such as Herbamare Sodium-Free was used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
Australia and New Zealand vinegar strength special notes.
Recipe Source and Notes
Pickled Green Tomato Relish. In: Andress, Elizabeth L. and Judy A. Harrison. So Easy to Preserve. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. Bulletin 989. Sixth Edition. 2014. Page 165.
- Noted option for the smaller jars (same processing times);
- Offered sugar and salt free option.
For the peppers, you want about 6 to 7 (1.5 kg / 3 lbs) whole peppers before starting prep on them.
For the onions, you’ll want about 8 x 7 cm (3 inch) onions, (900 g / 2 lbs), before starting.
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml:
- 41 calories, 544 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: per 2 tablespoons, 1 point
Per 2 tablespoons / 30 ml:
- 15 calories, 13 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 to 2 tablespoons, 0 points; 3 to 7 tablespoons, 1 point; 8 to 13 tablespoons, 2 points.
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.
* Herbamare ® is a registered trademark of the A. Vogel Corporation.