Cranberry and Apple Mustard is a delicious, semi-sweet smooth mustard. It goes nicely on a wide variety of things; surprisingly nice even on things such as hamburgers. It’s also very good with cheeses.
You can make the regular version (21 calories, 74 mg sodium per tablespoon), or the sugar and salt-free version (14 calories, 0 mg sodium.)
See also: other cranberry products.
Jar size choices: Either 125 ml (1/2 cup / 4 oz) or 1/4 litre (1/2 US pint / 250 ml / 8 oz)
Processing method: Water bath or steam canning
Yield: 4 x 1/4 litre (250 ml / 8 oz) jars
Headspace: 2 cm (1/2 inch)
Processing time: Either size jar 15 minutes
Yield: 4 x 250 ml (8 oz) jars
Serving size: 1 tablespoon
Fat: .2 g
- 350 g cranberries (3 cups / 12 oz / standard North American bag)
- 150 ml apple cider vinegar (2/3 cup / 5 oz)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (350 g / 12 oz before prep, 200 g / 7 oz after. Doesn't need to be that exact, either.)
- 125 g white sugar (1/2 cup / 4 oz) OR ½ teaspoon liquid stevia
- 75 ml liquid honey (1/3 cup / 3 oz)
- 6 tablespoons dry mustard ( 40 g / 1.5 oz in weight)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt OR non-bitter, non-clouding salt sub
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- Wash and sort cranberries. Put in a large stainless pot along with the vinegar.
- Cover the pot, bring to a boil, then let boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, assemble all your other ingredients from the apple down to and including the turmeric.
- When the 5 minutes is up, add the remaining ingredients to the pot, cover, bring back to a boil, then lower to a good simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Taste, adjust taste with a bit more sweetener if desired.
- Ladle into 125 ml (4 oz) or ¼ litre (1/2 US pint / 8 oz) jars.
- Leave 2 cm (1/2 inch) headspace.
- Debubble, adjust headspace if needed.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Put lids on.
- Process in a water bath or steam canner.
- Process jars for 15 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.
How to water bath process.
How to steam can.
When water-bath canning or steam canning, you must adjust the processing time for your altitude.
For stevia, non-bitter Better Stevia liquid stevia was the stevia used.
More information about Sugar and Salt-Free Canning in general.
For the salt sub, we used Herbamare which is non-bitter and non-clouding.
Cranberry Mustard. Bernardin. Accessed June 2016.
Per 1 tablespoon:
- 21 calories, 74 mg sodium
Sugar and salt-free version
Per 1 tablespoon:
- 14 calories, 0 mg sodium
- Weight Watchers PointsPlus®: 1 tablespoon: 0 points; 2 tablespoons: 1 point
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by healthycanning.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Better Stevia ® is a registered trademark of the NOW Foods Company.